Saturday, June 18, 2011

Happy Father's Day?

I'm pretty sure Father's Day falls on a Sunday...I think it's the rule. But I swear I heard that the 18th was Father's Day, which is today. I'm not sure I know what the universe is trying to say. I'm not sure the universe speaks. Is this real life!
So, since I'm not sure if it's The Day or not, Hallie and I wrote daddy a letter. This morning was a crazy one, mostly because when I got the in shower, Hallie thought she had to as well. Colby is at work, and I couldn't stop her. She took off her pijamas, after much crying and baby deiberation, went and got her toys and started to jump in. I yelled, "Take your diaper off first, sweetie!" She thought I was mad at her and started crying on the floor. So, against my better interest, I just got out of the shower as is and took of her diaper. Oh, except the universe forgot to tell me that she had poo'd and it all fell out onto the rug. Just to make the circumstance less cool, Hallie decided to step in it, hahaha. Whoa...  At this point I'm pretty much dry, with a towel hapharzardly placed in my hair, trying to clean up the mess. I cleaned Hallie up, put the rug in the washer, and filled the tub up. After that, it was pretty much back to normal and we had a fun splashy time.
Oh, whoa, I forgot why I was prefacing this post with such a hurrican story. After I got Hallie ready, and I was finishing my hair, Hallie had some paperwork to do in Colby's end table. When she was done, we had to clean it up. What I had found was a bottle of Colby's cologne from High School... I had asked him to a Sadie's Hopkins dance against my better judgement (thanks hillary! you beautiful tyrant!) and while we were dancing to the stupid song, "Austin", by Blake stupid Shelton, I remember the way he smelt pretty vividly. Call me Anthony Hopkins if you want, but I can't help that I have the nose of a blood hound. Whoa.
Anyway, when I went home that night after all the awkward "do I kiss her? is he gonna kiss me? is my mom spying on me, and my dad pretending he owns a gun?" I was getting into my pijamas and I could smell Colby on my clothes. It made me smile, and immensely grateful for a best friend who knows what's best for me even when I don't.
One smell of that spilled cologne this morning brought all that warm nostalgia back to me, and I realized that our sweet moments aren't over. We've grown together over the last 7 years, and so has our love. It reminds me of a Bob Dylan song, "If Not For You..." Check it out, man. You'll appreciate your hunk even more.
Tell your spouse, father, grandpa, or any significant male authoritative figure in your life (if warranted), how much you appreciate them today. Or tomorrow. Whatever, do both days. And don't do it ingenuously, either; there are too many walking Hallmark cards. I suggest making him something. A photo album, a pie, a blanket...something that will remind him of your love and appreciation for him. Mother's keep the home-fires burning, but Father's provide the firewood.
Peace my lova's!

1 comment:

  1. I loved the story about Hallie wanting in the shower. Such craziness!

    ReplyDelete